CBD oil is now in the progress of being studied for dementia. There is still a long way to go in research, but there have been instances where there may have been positive effects due to CBD oil.
CBD is a compound derived from the cannabis plant. This is the molecule in cannabis that is a non-psychoactive ingredient. It will not get you intoxicated after consumption. Legally, CBD oil must contain less than 0.3% THC content, the molecule responsible for the “high” in marijuana. For this reason, it is entirely safe to consume.
The Research: CBD Oil Supplements for Dementia
You may be wondering what the difference between Alzheimer’s and Dementia is. These terms are often used interchangeably but are very different things.
- Dementia: This is the overall term used when describing over 100 types of dementia. Not all have the same symptoms, and not all people who have dementia have Alzheimer’s.
- Alzheimer’s Disease: This is one type of dementia that is often used in place of the word dementia. This is the most common type of dementia, which is why people get confused so easily.
There have been few lab tests done by researchers that have shown significant removal of the proteins that build up in someone’s brain. As well as a few tests were done on rats who had shown signs of Alzheimer’s. In this small test, it had shown once again that CBD mixed with THC may get rid of the amyloid proteins built up in the rats’ bodies.
There is still a need for further research in this subject and it will continue to be a big controversial topic until there is significant proof that it helps with dementia.
It remains an understudied substance in humans. Users should consult with their doctors when dealing with any medical concerns.
Read More: DOES CBD GET YOU HIGH?
Types of CBD Oil for dementia
There are three main types of CBD products you can buy on the market. All CBD products must contain under 0.3% to comply with federal laws and restrictions. Despite this, it still leaves several options to choose from.
- Full Spectrum: This is the whole plant used in making the product including the THC content.
- Broad Spectrum: This uses the entire plant except for the THC.
- CBD Isolate: This is the purest type of CBD you can find. This is made from tiny CBD crystals that are ground into a powder and mixed in with whatever product is chosen. It contains no THC.
On top of these types of CBD, there are now many ways to take CBD for dementia.
- Tinctures: Place the dropper underneath your tongue and let it absorb directly in your bloodstream. These are mixed oils that can taste a little bit better than just CBD.
- Edibles: You can now eat many forms of CBD, including capsules and gummies.
- Oil: If you can stand the taste, this is a great way to take CBD, you also drop it under your tongue. Others mix it with their foods and beverages.
- Topicals and lotions: This is not meant to get into your bloodstream, so it works well if you are dealing with a rash or sore muscles.
For this, researchers usually recommend taking the whole plant, meaning you need the full-spectrum CBD to gain its potential benefits. All of the molecules from the plant working in unison could have the best results for dementia patients. Researchers otherwise call this the entourage effect.
All of the different parts of the plant are measured out to be the legal limit.
Symptoms of Dementia
Dementia can affect people in a lot of different ways, and there are many kinds of dementia someone could be dealing with. Patients may use CBD in order to possibly alleviate symptoms when treating dementia.
Common symptoms of dementia include:
- Memory loss
- Not being able to recognize familiar things
- Mental decline
How to Use CBD supplements for dementia
Specifically, in Alzheimer’s, there have been few short-term studies that showed the slowing and removal of a protein called amyloid. There is also evidence of CBD possibly lowering inflammation in the brain.
Currently, there is no “best way” to take CBD oil for dementia. If you are thinking about using it, be sure to tell your doctor and choose the way you want to ingest or use CBD oil that suits your lifestyle.
Read More: IS CBD OIL LEGAL?
Currently, there is a massive spotlight on CBD oil for dementia because the little research that has been done has shown significant positive reactions.
There may be hope for all of our loved ones who battle this disease. Moreover, CBD infused products may help with chronic pain. CBD may help reduce inflammation and oxygen buildup. It could work as a brain stimulant and help diminish specific proteins in the brain.
CBD oil for dementia is derived from hemp plants or the cannabis plant. Lastly, this is not the same as medical marijuana. It has very few side effects and is legal in many places in the United States.